AGING AND LONG-TERM SUPPORT ADMINISTRATION
Training Requirements & Classes - Food Safety and Food Worker Card Renewal as CE
Adult Family Homes
AFH providers and their staff can choose to either maintain a current food worker card or to take 30 minutes of continuing education each year by reading the current Washington State Food and Beverage Workers' Manual, Food Safety is Everybody's Business.
AFH Employer Responsibility for safe food handler CE:
- Be an approved training program authorized to offer CE. Learn how to apply as a training program or add CE to an existing training program.
- Verify all long term care workers review the current version of the Food Safety is Everybody's Business manual each year.
- Complete the required Food Handling and Food Safety CE certificate. This CE certificate is only for AFHs and only for this CE.
- Give workers a completed Food Handling and Food Safety CE certificate.
- Keep a copy of this certificate with the other CE certificates required for that worker.
Assisted Living Facilities
ALF long term care workers must maintain a current food worker card. During the year that the worker must renew their card, they may apply one hour of CE for completing the required food safety training and test. The following restrictions apply:
- The food safety training and test (either classroom or online) must be taken through the local Washington State health department.
- The one hour of CE can only be used in the year the renewal was completed.
ALF Employer Responsibility for safe food handler CE:
- Keep a copy of the worker's renewed food worker card with the other CE certificates required for that worker.