Go To Site Navigation


Becoming a Paid In-home Caregiver

There are several ways to become a paid caregiver.  You can be hired by:

Home Care Agencies and Facilities that Hire Caregivers

Home care agencies hire, train, pay, supervise, and are responsible for the care you provide as a paid caregiver in someone’s home.  Contact them directly to see if they have any openings.  Use The National Association of Home Care and Hospice locator to get a listing of home care agencies in your area.  

Adult family homes, boarding homes, and nursing homes hire, train, pay, and supervise their caregivers.  Contact them directly to see if they have any openings. Use the links here to learn more about these types of facilities and get a listing of facilities where you live. 

People Hiring Caregivers Directly

The Home Care Referral Registry (available in many, but not all, counties throughout Washington) links Medicaid consumers with paid caregivers.  Learn how to get on the Referral Registry.

Look in your local paper in the help wanted section to see if anyone is looking to hire a paid caregiver. You can also check bulletin boards for ads in local grocery stores, places of worship, senior centers, hospitals, doctor’s offices or libraries.

The State Contracts With and Pays a Caregiver

The state pays for a caregiver if the person needing care lives at home, is eligible for care services, and needs Medicaid to help pay for them. In this situation, the person who needs care hires and supervises the caregiver but the caregiver is paid by the state for these services. Caregivers contract with the state to provide these services and are called Individual Providers (IPs).

All IPs are represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 775. Learn More.

The types of care tasks that an IP is authorized to do and the number of hours an IP will be paid to do them is determined by a care plan.  The care plan is the result of a care assessment completed by the DSHS social worker/case manager working directly with the person who needs care. 

An IP must meet a number of requirements to contract with the state, including:
Be 18 or older.

A person using Medicaid to help pay for long term care services who wants to employ you as their IP should contact his or her case manager.  

Family or friends as unpaid caregivers

The majority of people who provide care for an adult family member or friend are not paid.  There is free or low cost help for unpaid caregivers through the Family Caregiver Support Program. Learn more about the services offered through the Family Caregiver Support Program.